CRAFTSMAN PAVILION

Pasadena, CA

The pavilion is a free standing addition to a 1910, historical “Craftsman” house located on a leafy street on the eastern side of the Arroyo. The main house was designed early in the career of noted Pasadena Architect, Sylvanus Marston. The pavilion, consisting of a vaulted “Great Room” (with en suite bathroom) flanked by shaded terraces, provides a quiet retreat for relaxation, study and contemplation.

As a secondary structure, the pavilion takes its formal design cues from Marston’s work, echoing the scale, material palette and construction details. The linear roof structure, oriented parallel to the east-west axis set up by the double pitched gabled roofs of the main house, defines the southern edge of a secluded garden.